One of the suburbs of Mobile Alabama located on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay is Spanish Fort. Spanish Fort can trace its roots all the way back to 1712, and coincides with the founding of Mobile. Originally, Spanish Fort was a trading post used by the French.
In 1763, Spanish Fort became the property of the British after the French and Indian War. The Revolutionary War brought with it the founding of a Spanish fort on the same grounds as the old French trading post. The area quickly became known as “Spanish Fort”, and after the War of 1812, the land traded hands again, to become American owned. Spanish Fort played a key part in the Civil War as well, since it was a heavily fortified defense on the eastern side of Mobile.
Spanish Fort incorporated in 1993, and since then, has seen much growth in industry and shopping. They currently have their own system of government, top rated schools (Pre-K – 12th grade), and positive economic growth. Spanish Fort is known as the “City of Spirit”. Residents of Spanish Fort show this motto by providing some of the best possible services around. Because of this, visitors from all over feel warm, welcome, and invited, with hopes that they will make many more return visits.
Spanish Fort is also known as the home of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta. This delta is the second largest one in the United States, and is still to this day almost the exact same way when it was first explored in 1775. This area is where the Mobile, Tensaw, Blakeley, Appalachee, and Spanish River all come together, and then flow out into the Gulf. This area is protected, and is home to numerous species of wildlife and plant life, some of which can only be found here.